Saturday, October 16, 2010

A birthday gift to me

Yesterday, I turned 30 years old. For the last month or so, I have reflected upon this privilege. I don't feel old. I have 4 beautiful children and the man of my dreams. I have had so many amazing experiences thus far, and I know I have many more to come. As I ponder my blessings, my gratitude increases for my Father in heaven. He obviously knows me better than I know myself.

When I was 6 years old, I decided that I wanted to be a doctor. I worked toward that goal for the next 12 years. Most of my friends don't even know that there was a time when I attended the University of AZ in the pre-med program, studying Biology. But something happened my freshman year that transformed my life wholly and completely. I was unhappy. Luckily, I had been taught by my wonderful father that if I had a question, I could ask God, so that is what I did.

One day, I decided to find a quiet place where I could be alone. I knelt down, and at 18 years old, prayed to God vocally for the first time in my life. I told him everything that I was feeling. I was also willing to do whatever he told me, no matter the sacrifice. I remember saying, "What do you want me to do?" and then I stopped to listen. I had the most amazing experience after that. I felt an answer. I felt that I needed to quit school, losing all of my scholarships, and move in with a friend, Melissa, 2 hours away. I knew that my dreams of being a doctor would have to be put on hold. I knew that my parents would be disappointed in my choice. I was scared of such a drastic change in the plan I had followed nearly my whole life. But I had promised that I would do whatever He told me, so I did.

Just a few weeks after that prayer, I was introduced to two missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and was baptized. As I began to see my life through the eyes of my loving Heavenly Father, I realized that He really did have my happiness in mind when he told me to change. I continued to pray and listen to the feelings I received. This process sent me to Brigham Young University, where I met my husband, Don. It also took me to Italy to serve a mission for my church. Prayer told me that these four little angels should come to my home and that the most rewarding title I would ever earn is Mother. I cannot properly express the gratitude I have for my Savior, his atonement, and his plan of happiness. I understand now what Matt. 6: 19-21 means. My treasure is my eternal family and that realization is the greatest birthday gift I could ever receive.

3 comments:

Julianne said...

I love you and your testimony. I miss hearing it as often as I used to. I think of you often and you continue to inspire me. I am so happy that you are happy.

Marlon and Suzana said...

Wow I had no idea you had studied to become a doctor! What amazing faith to leave college and go where the Lord wanted you to...leading you to the rest of your life! I love hearing your amazing testimony, you never faith to inspire & uplift me. I love you so much!

The Gamble's said...

I just love "listening" to your testimony! I miss you Kimberly! I'm so happy that you have made such wonderful choices and I know that Heavenly Father is happy too! I think about you often and about the fun times we had! You truly are an inspiration to me! Love ya!